Federal hostage Beate Zschäpe testifies in court
Beate Zschape in court Thursday with the lawyer she switched to when she insisted on telling her side, preparing to read a statement.
AFTER REMAINING SILENT SINCE HER TRIAL BEGAN IN 2013 – except for a statement read by her attorney last year in which she admitted guilt for her two friends Uwe Mundlos and Uwe Böhnhardt – 41-year-old Zschäpe read a short statement in court on Thursday.
She said that after the German reunification in 1990, she “identified with nationalist ideology.” But now she has changed, she said, and today: "I judge people not by their origin and political affiliation but by their behavior."
She added, “I regret my own misconduct. I condemn what Uwe Mundlos and Uwe Böhnhardt did to the victims."
Zschäpe has been in solitary confinement for almost 5 years. She was obviously persuaded by court psychiatrists and her lawyers that she was a vulnerable young woman from a troubled family who got trapped in her need for close companionship, for love. Now she must try to get right with justice, get right with society, pay for her mistakes - but is hoping for mercy apparently based on her being something of a victim herself.
Zschäpe had already admitted to an arson charge, but has denied playing any role in the “murders.' In a 53-page deposition, she claimed she only stayed with the pair after the fact [after she knew they had committed murder] because she feared going to jail.
The state has been unable to accumulate enough evidence to prove the murder charges against the two dead men, so a confession by Zschäpe goes a long way in making it appear the case can be closed. However, the lawyers for the Turkish families have long complained there has been a cover-up of the ineptitude and/or corruption in the state security services.
More to come when further news is released or discovered.